November 2012 Learn about Radio course now booking.
See below for information about upcoming Learn About Radio Courses
2. Community Groups
Are you interested in presenting, researching, operating the
sound desk for a show? Then you need to register for the
Dundalk FM ' Learn about Radio' course.
10.00am - 3.30pm
January 19 & 26 2013
- Develop creativity and competencies in radio production.
- Develop initiative and confidence when working independently and with others.
- Develop good administration and work practices.
Course Content/Specific Outcomes
- Understanding Community Radio.
- Define Community Radio.
- Explain why Community Radio involves local communities.
- Display an understanding of Community Radio relationships to local Communities.
Interviewing and Recording
- Conduct an interview with a Community Group in the studio.
- Conduct an interview using a portable recorder.
- Understanding Community Radio principles on Interviewing.
- Display an ability to implement Community Radio principles on Interviewing.
- Define Libel.
- Demonstrate an understanding of certain issues around libel.
- Conduct the interview safely.
Production and Presentation
- Conduct research for an interview with a Community Group.
- Demonstrate the correct technique to use headphones and a microphone.
- Understand how to prepare for a Community Radio interview.
- Understand how to structure a Community Radio Interview.
- Understand why it is important to interview local groups.
Students who successfully complete this course will
- Understand and practice the ethos of Community
- Radio Broadcasting.
- Understand the role of CRAOL, AMARC, BAI, COMREG, IMRO, PPI and MCPS.
- Analyse radio formats and understand interview styles.
- Learn how to gather news and write community news for radio.
- Operate the sound desk and understand all studio protocol and procedures.
- Gain an introduction to Audio Editing Software.
- Record a half an hour radio programme for broadcast.
€99 Learn about Radio Course.
2. Community Groups
Voluntary Community Groups in Dundalk can broadcast a regular
programme on Dundalk's Community radio station like the groups below:
Community Group Radio Production Skills One-Day Workshop
For Community Groups wishing to begin broadcasting on Dundalk FM.
Participants will be given an appreciation of how radio programmes are
made and how ideas are generated, formed into a half hour programme
and broadcast on Dundalk FM.
Session 1 – Recording and Editing
1. Introduction to Radio – Community Radio as the third sector of broadcasting in
2. Demonstration - how a digital recorder works, remote broadcasting.
3. Introduction to the sound desk, equaliser, faders, gain and microphones.
Session 2 – Research, Planning
1. Participants prepare the Running Order and write links for a 30-minute programme.
2. Voxpops- what they are, how to record and edit and insert in a show.
3. Audio Edits– record a voice into the laptop/edit/change voices/add music/mix down.
Session 3 – Recording 30-minute Hour Programme
1. Putting all the skills together to record and edit a dedicated programme,
which will be broadcast on Dundalk FM at a later date.
Each participant receives a booklet on broadcasting and a copy of the ½ hour programme.
The cost of this project is €300 per Community Group (up to 8 participants).
This includes the first years' membership in the category ‘Community Group’ (worth €50).
The members of the group are then invited into the station during the proceeding
weeks to practice their technical and presenting skills with a range of programmes
before submitting a Programme Proposal Form and a 5-minute demo to the
Typical schedule slots are for one-hour duration and run for 13 weeks at a time.
The workshop takes place in the Dundalk FM Studios. The training is 5 hours duration.
Please give us a call on 93 95100 anytime for more details.